The hardest of stones, diamonds derive their beauty from the way they refract, reflect and disperse light. The slightest bit of film from skin oil, soap or hand lotion will change a diamond’s refractive index and dull the diamond’s brilliance. Diamond rings worn every day should be cleaned often to keep them sparkling and bright.
- Soak in a bowl of warm water with a few drops of ammonia.
- Using a soft toothbrush, gently scrub the entire piece, especially underneath the setting of your stone to dislodge any dirt.
- Rinse in a bowl of clean water and dry.
- Do not touch the surface of clean diamonds with your fingertips. Instead, handle jewellery by the edges to avoid leaving fingerprints.
- Do not perform heavy work while wearing diamond jewellery. Diamonds are the hardest of stones but can still be chipped if hit the wrong way.